Powered by Invision Power Board
 Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )
Women, Videogames, & Harrassment, Oh my!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Kurocha
Posted: Jun 13 2013, 07:01 PM

Group: Blackmoon Tribe Raiders
Member No.: 210

I wish I hadn't read that. It's so sad and filled with so much anger for no reason.

Also kind of related, I want to play as Zelda, not Link.

Khatja
Posted: Aug 2 2013, 01:20 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 123

The third and final Damsel in Distress video is up!

http://www.feministfrequency.com/2013/08/d...ropes-vs-women/

The next topic looks like it's going to be The Fighting Fuck Toy trope.

Abotu
Posted: Aug 3 2013, 03:43 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Blackmoon Tribe Members
Member No.: 9631

It's cool that she gave a quick shoutout to MMO's as a type of game that encourages gender equality and cooperation.

I've had this conversation with a few of you before, but my arbitrary choice back in the day to pick a female troll as my first character led to some eye-opening experiences in regards to how women are perceived and treated in "gamer culture," and I feel like these lessons are ongoing. Also, just the experience of rooting for a scrappy female protagonist in my geeky fantasy adventures kind of opened my mind to some narrative possibilities that I hadn't really considered before. My hope is that other dudes out there who create girl characters for arbitrary or even misguided reasons end up gaining a few of the same insights.

Something that has become increasingly clear to me from both my studies and my personal experience is that the patriarchy cuts both ways, that sexist cultural attitudes are harmful to men as well. This is the big point that every idiot "men's rights activist" on the internet is missing. There seems to be a pervasive idea out there among certain small-minded dudes that nothing can be gained by women without being taken away from men, but they couldn't be more wrong. In a more enlightened society we would all gain greater freedom of choice and a richer experience.

Case in point: part of the evil of the "damsel in distress" stereotype is that it's incredibly fucking lazy storytelling, and any video game (or movie, etc.) that fails to break out of that tired old convention is one more that is boring and predictable and not fun for the audience. If we can move past this annoying stereotype and break some new ground in storytelling, it's a big win for everybody because we all get some fresh entertainment.

Sokra
Posted: Aug 3 2013, 05:18 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Blackmoon Tribe Moderators
Member No.: 121

QUOTE (Abotu @ Aug 3 2013, 01:43 PM)
Some things that were said well.

Well said.

--------------------
'Whenever people say "We mustn't be sentimental," you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add "We must be realistic," they mean they are going to make money out of it.'

Khatja
Posted: Aug 5 2013, 07:16 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Abotu @ Aug 3 2013, 12:43 PM)
Something that has become increasingly clear to me from both my studies and my personal experience is that the patriarchy cuts both ways, that sexist cultural attitudes are harmful to men as well.

Yeah, totally. You might be interested in the documentary about masculinity being made through this kickstarter: The Mask You Live In.

Korbah
Posted: Aug 6 2013, 12:46 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8803

So this reminds me of a conversation I had with a co-worker the other day. He was commenting on some girls that sat at a table, and I said they were pretty attractive. He said he used to bang 2 or 3 girls a week, and he used to live above a bar, and whenever a girl said she didn't have a ride home and couldn't afford a cab, he'd invite them upstairs to crash, and then...
He was basically trying to act cool, but all he's done is prove to me that he's a rapist...

also, that mario game is bizarre

Sokra
Posted: Aug 6 2013, 12:52 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

wtf rapebrag

--------------------
'Whenever people say "We mustn't be sentimental," you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add "We must be realistic," they mean they are going to make money out of it.'

Korbah
Posted: Aug 6 2013, 12:55 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8803

QUOTE (Sokra @ Aug 5 2013, 10:52 PM)
wtf rapebrag

yeah I had no idea how to react to that. I just kind of looked at my other coworker with an awkward smile and walked away.
like, congrats you are a criminal and a horrible human being. and I have to continue working with you, and all the times I think you're being creepy, you actually are

Khatja
Posted: Aug 6 2013, 04:53 AM

Advanced Member

You should consider saying something when you're in situations like that. I know it's uncomfortable, but even just a "Dude, that's not cool" or "That's messed up" would at least let him know that you don't think that what he did was hilarious or super cool or whatever. Because, if you think about it, if he thinks that this is something worth bragging about, it's because he hasn't had a good indication that it's NOT something to brag about. So, if the people who agree with his point of view continue to support him, and people who disagree with him just don't say anything, he's basically going to keep having that world view reinforced.

Zularim
Posted: Aug 6 2013, 10:15 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 275

QUOTE (Khatja @ Aug 6 2013, 04:53 AM)
You should consider saying something when you're in situations like that. I know it's uncomfortable, but even just a "Dude, that's not cool" or "That's messed up" would at least let him know that you don't think that what he did was hilarious or super cool or whatever. Because, if you think about it, if he thinks that this is something worth bragging about, it's because he hasn't had a good indication that it's NOT something to brag about. So, if the people who agree with his point of view continue to support him, and people who disagree with him just don't say anything, he's basically going to keep having that world view reinforced.

This. My last drill weekend at Ft. Lewis we had a 3+ hour SHARP (Sexual Harassment/Assault Response and Prevention) briefing because apparently a lot of people in the army don't seem to understand that a lack of ability to consent constitutes grounds for sexual assault charges. It was about as dry as you would expect for someone that isn't a psychotherapist minus the the, but it was really sad how high the rates are, just in the army. The one really good thing about it is they're trying for a cultural change, which includes the type of thing khatja mentioned. As well as emphasizing looking after each other and intervening before something bad happens (such as the person that's been feeding your battle buddy drinks all night tries to take them home).

--------------------
President of the Hotara Fan Club.

Manashnee
Posted: Aug 6 2013, 02:31 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 384

The army is a scary place. I heard from a documentary on tv that more then half of women have been sexually assaulted.

Khatja
Posted: Aug 6 2013, 04:44 PM

Advanced Member

There's an awesome video of Australia's Chief of Army giving a PSA about sexism in their military: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSR19QL8ZvI

I hope some of that attitude makes it's way here to the US.

Sahn'jin
Posted: Aug 6 2013, 05:47 PM

Dark Elder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Khatja @ Aug 6 2013, 05:44 PM)
There's an awesome video of Australia's Chief of Army giving a PSA about sexism in their military: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSR19QL8ZvI

I hope some of that attitude makes it's way here to the US.

Thank you, I was looking for that all day to post here, and couldn't find it.

--------------------
Hi, my name is Sahnjin, and I'm an achievement whore.

Bantaro
Posted: Aug 6 2013, 09:04 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 174

Korbah, you should probably consider talking with HR if this occurred on work premises. And while I might want for somebody to kick this guy's ass, there's probably a good chance he's lying. AND you just had surgery so you're still recovering so no fighting for you.

--------------------
user posted image
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Larry, and um, Brain, but how can we get seven dwarves to shave their legs?
- Pinky & the Brain ... and Larry (1997)

Zularim
Posted: Aug 6 2013, 10:46 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 275

QUOTE (Bantaro @ Aug 6 2013, 09:04 PM)
Korbah, you should probably consider talking with HR if this occurred on work premises. And while I might want for somebody to kick this guy's ass, there's probably a good chance he's lying. AND you just had surgery so you're still recovering so no fighting for you.

But hey, if he's a rogue you have a leg up against him.

--------------------
President of the Hotara Fan Club.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
46 replies since Jun 12 2012, 12:04 PM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4 
<< Back to Bone Pile