Powered by Invision Power Board
 Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Pages: (52) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Fantasy Grounds
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Sahn'jin
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 11:36 AM

Dark Elder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Martris @ Feb 26 2010, 11:34 AM)
because the other plans I have are so much more interesting thus far in their development.

Go on...

--------------------
Hi, my name is Sahnjin, and I'm an achievement whore.

Albers
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 11:59 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Blackmoon Tribe Moderators
Member No.: 79

So, I tried Wine and it is beyond my ability to actually set the thing up. It is all like "download Xcode and put this text here and this here..." and I'm all "where's the install button...", the instructions make little to no sense to me either. I might be doing it wrong...

I will have to try it out more this weekend, or find something else.

Is there any background information about the campaign we should know as we create our characters? I don't know if alignments are still around, but should characters be aligned to one end of the spectrum?

--------------------
The Armani Troll

Khah
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 11:59 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Blackmoon Tribe Raiders
Member No.: 122

My second choice is a Paladin depending on our defender status, I was kinda playing with Warforged but am prepared to switch if we are not given that option, the racial bonuses for Warforged paladins sucked anyway.
My top pick will remain a secret, it is simply so awesome that if any mortal caught wind of it the idea would instantly be stolen. God damn I want a chance to play that character though =P.

--------------------
Khah: i hate ancestor appreciation

Warg: month

Khah: if it was a thing i would hate it

Warg: Well that's a true statement independent of context.

Khah
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 12:02 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 122

QUOTE (Albers @ Feb 26 2010, 11:59 AM)
Is there any background information about the campaign we should know as we create our characters? I don't know if alignments are still around, but should characters be aligned to one end of the spectrum?

I don't think he has a whole lot hammered out just yet. He takes a lot of care though to let people know with a fair amount of warning if ploy and plots of his will have a major influence on the kind of characters we can create, so long as its not too wonky you could probably start working on some manner of background for characters if you wanted.

--------------------
Khah: i hate ancestor appreciation

Warg: month

Khah: if it was a thing i would hate it

Warg: Well that's a true statement independent of context.

Albers
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 12:10 PM

Advanced Member

Cool thanks. I just know in the past I've played with some groups where because of the setting you couldn't play different things (race/class/alignment). Created characters and then had to change them to fit the story. I think I'll just pick a race and class then work background out later.

I find the idea of Warforged interesting and was thinking about creating one. However, I wanted to read up on them before I committed to anything.

--------------------
The Armani Troll

Sokra
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 12:13 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (Albers @ Feb 26 2010, 11:59 AM)
So, I tried Wine and it is beyond my ability to actually set the thing up. It is all like "download Xcode and put this text here and this here..." and I'm all "where's the install button...", the instructions make little to no sense to me either. I might be doing it wrong...

I will have to try it out more this weekend, or find something else.

I can probably help you set up wine. I've never done it on a mac but I am some kind of crazy genius or something.

Alignments don't work the way they did in previous versions, in some ways I like and some I dislike, but the net effect is that they don't really tie into game mechanics the way they used to. It's less of a "This is what I am so I have to act this way" thing and more of a "I act this way, so I am this" thing, if that makes sense. It's probably better for storytelling and roleplaying character development than the old "my character's morality is plotted on a graph from the start" approach, and it gets rid of things like the idea that <insert race here> is always <insert alignment here>, which I like. The downside is that always getting to use the phrases "Chaotic Good" and "Lawful Evil" was fun, and there aren't game mechanics tied to particular alignments anymore. Honestly, I thought I was going to miss the old system a lot more than I do in practice.

But yeah, for a whole slew of reasons it would be best if your characters tend to be neutral or gooder. I loves me some bad guys and I'd like to run an evil campaign too, but we should probably start with the traditional tales of heroic adventure.

As for the campaign setting, I'm tossing ideas around in my head but it's unlikely I'm going to go with anything too far from the features of the default 4th edition world type. For those of you not familiar with the Points of Light idea, here is a brief explanation: Points of Light

--------------------
'Whenever people say "We mustn't be sentimental," you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add "We must be realistic," they mean they are going to make money out of it.'

Sahn'jin
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 12:21 PM

Dark Elder

QUOTE (Warg @ Feb 26 2010, 03:36 AM)
It is purchased.

So what is step 2?

--------------------

Sokra
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 12:27 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sahn'jin @ Feb 26 2010, 12:21 PM)
So what is step 2?

Khah and I frantically familiarizing ourselves with the software. Myself so I can build and run adventures and campaigns in it, Khah so he can know enough about it from a player perspective that he can quickly get you guys up to speed.

After that I start world building while we figure out who is going to play and when it's going to happen.

--------------------
'Whenever people say "We mustn't be sentimental," you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add "We must be realistic," they mean they are going to make money out of it.'

Sahn'jin
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 12:34 PM

Dark Elder

We should be able to figure out who and when while you two research what you need to.

Since the DM's schedule is vital, we'll want to know when you are free Warg. Also, what size party are we looking at? 4? 5? 6? I would figure any smaller or any larger wouldn't be right. Correct me on this.

Assuming a party of 4-6, who is interested AND willing to pay roughly 20 bucks to Warg?

I'm obviously in, and so is Khah. That's 2.

Should I go ahead and download it?

--------------------

Sokra
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 12:42 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sahn'jin @ Feb 26 2010, 12:34 PM)
Also, what size party are we looking at? 4? 5? 6? I would figure any smaller or any larger wouldn't be right. Correct me on this.

4-6 players is ideal. If we get 7 we'll get by, It would give me an excuse to throw together some absolutely ridiculous encounters. If we get more than 7, we can probably try splitting into two groups.

--------------------

Albers
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 01:04 PM

Advanced Member

Thanks for the explaination on alignments, it actually makes a lot of sense. With the way you explained it, I'll thrilled with the changes. I always disliked the "to play x you must be y". Races I understood to a point (culture, upbring, you're a demon) but there was always some awesome races that were labelled "evil" for not real reason.

Anyways, thanks! I might take you up on that offer for help with Wine.

--------------------
The Armani Troll

Majah
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 01:24 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Blackmoon Tribe Members
Member No.: 9145

I found this tutorial to be very helpful in installing wine.

--------------------
user posted image

Masamunahio
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 01:40 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

To be honest, what I was thinking was a gnome barbarian named Alexi Cockroch - why that name you ask?

I'm glad you asked. When I first met Zora and got into his gaming group, we started a campaign where I was a half elven ranger and he was a gnome barbarian named Alex the Cockroach. He had a 14 Int and a 7 wisdom - yes, you read that right, a 7. As Zora put it, he was book smart but had no common sense. So he knew the meaning of the word Retreat but not when to use it.

"So lets see, if a god shows up... wait, better make that two. If two gods shows up.... no three, three gods showing up... then I should retreat, right?" is literally one of the questions Alex asked.

Because he was the shortest character in the party, everyone else being elves or humans, my ranger used to use him as a pillow once he was fast asleep ;p

So I figured I'd make Alex's daughter for funs and giggles. tongue.gif

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Sokra
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 02:01 PM

Advanced Member

Oh wow, yeah. I totally skipped like a whole line of text when I read that.

Actually wtf. I can't believe I was able to read that so wrong.

Edit: Evidence deleted! Nothing to see here. I'm totally a smart guy and not an idiot at all.

I don't particularly want to have robbed Sahnjin of the moment though, so let the record show that Sahnjin called me stupid and was totally right.

This post has been edited by Warg on Feb 26 2010, 02:08 PM

--------------------

Sahn'jin
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 02:18 PM

Dark Elder

QUOTE (Warg @ Feb 26 2010, 02:01 PM)
Edit: Evidence deleted! Nothing to see here. I'm totally a smart guy and not an idiot at all.

Enjoy your moment of Forum Moderator bliss. laugh.gif

Now you understand why I don't have the Edit By piece in my posts.

--------------------

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
771 replies since Feb 24 2010, 09:35 PM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Pages: (52) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last »
<< Back to Bone Pile