Powered by Invision Power Board
 Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Pages: (52) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Fantasy Grounds
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Knoxuna
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 08:04 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Blackmoon Tribe Raiders
Member No.: 366

QUOTE (Warg @ Feb 25 2010, 07:40 PM)
The same people who wouldn't let Hotara into a raid because of his gearscore don't like 4th edition.

Those same people also hate kittens.

--------------------
I'm Knox.

Sahn'jin
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 10:09 PM

Dark Elder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Warg @ Feb 25 2010, 07:08 PM)
fudge

Mmmmm, fudge.

On a side note, why did the word "fudge" come to mean "adjusting"? I've been using a data prep script at work lately, as some of our testing required data entered at a certain point in time, which happens to be the future, but they were all system generated dates. So I wrote I script that I've been referring to around the office as the "Date Fudge Script".

people who wouldn't let Hotara into a raid because of his gearscore

elitist piss ants?

Also, could I get by with this?

--------------------
Hi, my name is Sahnjin, and I'm an achievement whore.

Sokra
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 10:23 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Blackmoon Tribe Moderators
Member No.: 121

QUOTE (Sahn'jin @ Feb 25 2010, 10:09 PM)
people who wouldn't let Hotara into a raid because of his gearscore

elitist piss ants?

Also, could I get by with this?

Not elitist piss ants, people who think they are really smart and think they know how things work but really don't.

I have no idea what is in that dummies book, but I imagine it's intended to supplement, not replace the Player's Handbook.

--------------------
'Whenever people say "We mustn't be sentimental," you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add "We must be realistic," they mean they are going to make money out of it.'

Sahn'jin
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 10:24 PM

Dark Elder

QUOTE (Warg @ Feb 25 2010, 10:23 PM)
Not elitist piss ants, people who think they are really smart and think they know how things work but really don't.

You don't have to be elite to be elitist. My insult stands.

And the Dummies book was a joke.

--------------------

Sokra
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 10:27 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sahn'jin @ Feb 25 2010, 10:24 PM)
And the Dummies book was a joke.

Oh thank god.

--------------------
'Whenever people say "We mustn't be sentimental," you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add "We must be realistic," they mean they are going to make money out of it.'

Sahn'jin
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 10:45 PM

Dark Elder

I know I've asked you to go over it before, and it could be a hassle for you to type it out now, but would you mind listing the races and classes (with role and power source), along with the type of armor/weapon they generally use? I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to roll, and I believe the Orc, Half-Orc, and primal classes aren't on the website I found since they are probably in a supplement book or whatever it's called and are more likely the ones I'm interested in.

I'm liking the decision to keep out Deva, and I think Dragonborn could be a bit much too, but the DM would have final say.

--------------------

Sokra
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 11:07 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sahn'jin @ Feb 25 2010, 10:45 PM)
I know I've asked you to go over it before, and it could be a hassle for you to type it out now, but would you mind listing the races and classes (with role and power source), along with the type of armor/weapon they generally use?

I'll make Khah do it.

--------------------

Khah
  Posted: Feb 26 2010, 12:37 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 122

Races in order of their source books

Player's Handbook 1

Dragonborn
Dwarf
Eladrin
Elf
Half-Elf
Halfling
Human
Tiefling

Player's Handbook 2

Deva (But not really)
Gnome
Goliath
Half-Orc
Shifter

Those are the core, and if we get to select races from campaign specific books than...

Forgotten Realms Player's Guide

Drow
Genasi

Eberron Player's Guide

Changeling
Kalashtar
Warforged

Oh god, now for classes, arranged by power source.

Martial

Fighter - Defender - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chainmail, Scale, Light Shields, Heavy Shields. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Military Melee, Simple Ranged, Military Ranged. (Player's Handbook 1)
Ranger - Striker - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth, Leather, Hide. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Military Melee, Simple Ranged, Military Ranged. (Player's Handbook 1)
Rogue - Striker - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth, Leather. - Weapon Proficiencies, Dagger, Hand Crossbow, Shuriken, Sling, Short Sword. (Player's Handbook 1)
Warlord - Leader - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chainmail. Light Shield. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Military Melee, Simple Ranged. (Player's Handbook 1)

Primal

Barbarian - Striker - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth, Leather, Hide. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Military Melee. (Player's Handbook 2)
Druid - Controller - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth, Leather, Hide. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Simple Ranged. (Player's Handbook 2)
Shaman - Leader- Armour Proficiencies, Cloth, Leather. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Longspear. (Player's Handbook 2)
Warden - Defender - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth, Leather, Hide, Light Shield, Heavy Shield. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Military Melee, Simple Ranged. (Player's Handbook 2)

Divine

Avenger - Striker - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Military Melee, Simple Ranged. (Player's Handbook 2)
Cleric - Leader - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chainmail. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Simple Ranged. (Player's Handbook 1)
Invoker - Controller - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chainmail. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Simple Ranged. (Player's Handbook 2)
Paladin - Defender - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chainmail, Scale, Plate, Light Shield, Heavy Shield. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Military Melee, Simple Ranged. (Player's Handbook 1)

Arcane

Bard - Leader - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chainmail, Light Shield. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Longsword, Scimitar, Short Sword, Simple Ranged, Military Ranged. (Player's Handbook 2)
Sorcerer - Striker - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Simple Ranged. (Player's Handbook 2)
Warlock - Striker - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth, Leather. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Simple Ranged. (Player's Handbook 1)
Wizard - Controller - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth. - Weapon Proficiencies, Dagger, Quarterstaff. (Player's Handbook 1)

And again there are some options for Arcane If we burrow into the campaign specific books.

Swordmages - Defender - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth, Leather. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Military Light Blades, Military Heavy Blades, Simple ranged. (Forgotten Realms Player's Guide)
Artificer - Leader - Armour Proficiencies, Cloth, Leather. - Weapon Proficiencies, Simple Melee, Simple Ranged. (Eberron Player's Guide)

And now I'm going to break down the above proficiencies for people not familiar with them.

Simple Melee includes

One Handed
Clubs - Daggers - Javelins - Maces - Sickles - Spears
Two Handed
Greatclub - Morningstar - Quarterstaff - Scythe

Military Melee Includes
One Handed
Battleaxe - Flail - Handaxe - Longsword - Scimitar - Short sword - Throwing Hammer - Warhammer - War pick
Two Handed
Falchion - Glaive - Greataxe - Greatsword - Halberd - Heavy Flail - Longspear - Maul

Simple Ranged
One Handed
Hand Crossbow - Sling
Two Handrd
Crossbow

Military Ranged
Longbow - Shortbow

If a class is listed as being proficient with a weapon or a category of weapons like the ones listed above than they can use them straight away, otherwise feats can get involved to make one proficient. There are other categories and even other weapons in the already listed categories but I have been at this for what seems like hours and am gonna stop for now.

--------------------
Khah: i hate ancestor appreciation

Warg: month

Khah: if it was a thing i would hate it

Warg: Well that's a true statement independent of context.

Zularim
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 03:15 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 275

I'm interested, for sure. Would be a complete newbie though. Would be a Dwarf... something.

--------------------
President of the Hotara Fan Club.

Sokra
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 03:36 AM

Advanced Member

It is purchased.

--------------------

Sahn'jin
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 06:38 AM

Dark Elder

QUOTE (Martris @ Feb 26 2010, 12:37 AM)
There are other categories and even other weapons in the already listed categories but I have been at this for what seems like hours and am gonna stop for now.

Thank you, this is even more than I needed.

I'm leaning very heavily towards Dwarf...possibly a Warden.

--------------------

Khah
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 09:13 AM

Advanced Member

I am creating three characters currently and will pick the most appropriate one for our group(s) when things appear more solid and other people have any idea which they want to play. Making D&D characters is one of the few things that I have ever enjoyed in my life, so I'm just having a blast putting them together.

--------------------

Sahn'jin
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 10:09 AM

Dark Elder

QUOTE (Martris @ Feb 26 2010, 09:13 AM)
I am creating three characters currently and will pick the most appropriate one for our group(s) when things appear more solid and other people have any idea which they want to play. Making D&D characters is one of the few things that I have ever enjoyed in my life, so I'm just having a blast putting them together.

I've never seen you this enthusiastic. I'm a little scared.

To be honest, I could be other characters too, if the party needed it. The Warlord class is appealing as well, maybe a Half-Orc Warlord.

Then again, there's something to be said about the classic Barbarian.

Assuming I've decided on race and class, how do I actually create this beastie? Isn't there a process of rolling dice to get your initial stats? Hence the phrase "rolling a new character".

--------------------

Zularim
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 10:51 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 275

I'm leaning towards either Warlord or Avenger. Maybe cleric.

--------------------
President of the Hotara Fan Club.

Khah
Posted: Feb 26 2010, 11:34 AM

Advanced Member

There are a number of actual stat generating processes, there are the dice, but they have been slowly phased out in our games because of peoples willingness to take retardedly low stats with a dumb ass grin on their face, its only really a problem because of the difficulty of the fights we usually have thrown at us.
To actually start creating the character you will likely have to connect to Warg's new account and probably be talking with him in vent as options are given to you or however he wants to do that.
Also warlords are wildly fun, one of my characters is a reinvention of my original warlord if we hadn't had anyone playing around with leader, it is however the character I am least interested in, not out of any fault of warlords but because the other plans I have are so much more interesting thus far in their development.

--------------------

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
771 replies since Feb 24 2010, 09:35 PM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Pages: (52) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »
<< Back to Bone Pile