Powered by Invision Power Board
 Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Pages: (52) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Fantasy Grounds
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Sahn'jin
Posted: Feb 24 2010, 09:35 PM

Dark Elder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Handle it.

http://www.fantasygrounds.com/

We should probably test out the demo version first.

--------------------
Hi, my name is Sahnjin, and I'm an achievement whore.

Sokra
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 01:51 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Blackmoon Tribe Moderators
Member No.: 121

Okay, so here's how I think this should go down.

We need to find out who is interested, whether or not they'll help pay for the unlimited version, and when they are available to play. I can purchase a copy soon so I can start getting used to the tools, and everyone else can pay me some chunk of it later. I'm willing to put in $80, especially considering I'd be the one holding the license, so if there are enough other people who can contribute to make up that other $70 we're good to go.

The game will be Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition because I love it. The number of different games we'll have to run and how frequently each will be played will be dependent on the number of people interested and their schedules.

So, who wants to play?

--------------------
'Whenever people say "We mustn't be sentimental," you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add "We must be realistic," they mean they are going to make money out of it.'

Albers
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 02:42 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 79

You know, I was just thinking...

"This looks pretty interesting, but given the track record of this tribe trying to play RP games, would it be worth it? We need to get an already established playing group to get interested in a game... like the Warg Clan."

I actually might be interested, but I have to figure out if I can run the program on my Mac. It looks like I can download something called Wine, and then Fantasy Grounds may work. If it does work and we are able to get a game going, I would be willing to make a donation to the cause.

My schedule is pretty flexible, except for Wednesdays. That day is packed already and it makes me sad.

--------------------
The Armani Troll

Raknagog
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 02:42 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Blackmoon Tribe Raiders
Member No.: 175

Me!
I can throw in like, 10 to 15 bucks.

--------------------
Nobody suspects a thing.

Sokra
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 02:49 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Albers @ Feb 25 2010, 02:42 PM)
Wine

Wine is awesome. It's a Free Software implementation of the major MS Windows libraries, allowing other operating systems to run programs that were written for Windows. And it looks like it allows Fantasy Grounds to run perfectly: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?...rsion&iId=17718

--------------------
'Whenever people say "We mustn't be sentimental," you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add "We must be realistic," they mean they are going to make money out of it.'

Knoxuna
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 02:51 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 366

I could chip in 10 dollars, I suppose. This could be fun but I've never played before.

--------------------
I'm Knox.

Sahn'jin
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 03:54 PM

Dark Elder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

One thing that has made tabletop RP for us so difficult is the lack of an online tool to facilitate it. Hence the interest in Fantasy Grounds.

Again, I strongly recommend testing out the trial to see if we like the flowthrough of the software, Warg especially since he will be the permanent, defacto Dungeonmaster.

Albers, you sould get the trial too, to test it with your Mac.

--------------------
Hi, my name is Sahnjin, and I'm an achievement whore.

Majah
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 04:09 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Blackmoon Tribe Members
Member No.: 9145

I still don't understand the rules of 4.0 unsure.gif

I am going to install the demo after I set up wine on my mac.

This post has been edited by Majah on Feb 25 2010, 04:13 PM

--------------------
user posted image

Albers
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 04:29 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sahn'jin @ Feb 25 2010, 03:54 PM)
Albers, you sould get the trial too, to test it with your Mac.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. I always get trials before paying money for just about every thing.

@Warg- Since you suggest Wine too, I'll definitely give it a try and I'll let you know.

--------------------
The Armani Troll

Sokra
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 04:31 PM

Advanced Member

Khah and I have already tinkered with the demo a little bit in the past, and unfortunately there are a lot of important things that I just can't test with the demo version, but for the most part it looked like a pretty decent table simulator and it had me excited to try it out for real.

--------------------

Masamunahio
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 07:00 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

I've missed playing D & D so I'd be interested in trying. Understand that to me, D & D has always been the 'comedy' game, where I usually go for light and funny characters. I would like to have an idea of what races / classes are allowable. (Zora mentioned that you did say no Dragonborne and there are other books with classes, races out there)

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Sokra
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 07:08 PM

Advanced Member

I don't like them, but I'll probably allow Dragonborn as long as it doesn't turn into an all Dragonborn party or something, but I can't be held responsible for subconscious biases influencing my decisions to fudge hidden die rolls...

A light and funny dragonborn would likely be murdered at the first appropriately 'comedic' opportunity, though.

Edit: No Deva characters though. Seriously. I think I'll allow anything from Player's Handbook 1 or 2 except for Deva. I can't imagine myself writing a campaign setting that Deva could fit into. If Player's Handbook 3 is out before we get started odds are pretty good I'd allow that stuff too. If there are races/classes from other sources you're interested in, run it by me. I prefer when people stick to basics though. Weird shit is weird.

This post has been edited by Warg on Feb 25 2010, 07:18 PM

--------------------

Albers
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 07:27 PM

Advanced Member

How familiar with 4th ed. do people need to be? As in, i have no idea what the hell a Deva is. I've played D&D for years, but it has always been 3-3.5.

If this actually gets going, I would probably pick up the Players' guide if it was needed.

--------------------
The Armani Troll

Sokra
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 07:29 PM

Advanced Member

It's totally cool if you don't know 4th edition at all. I'm expecting some people who have never played any D&D at all to want to give it a shot, so we'll have people of all experience levels involved. I just ask that everyone who has some idea what they are doing be patient with the newer players.

Edit: Having a copy of the 4th edition Player's Handbook would be really helpful to anyone who wants to play. I can also recommend other books aimed at players for people who want to have some more character build options on an individual basis. I actually prefer it (a lot) when players DON'T have any of the books aimed at Dungeon Masters, because it allows for more surprises and excitement.

This post has been edited by Warg on Mar 2 2010, 02:29 PM

--------------------

Sokra
Posted: Feb 25 2010, 07:40 PM

Advanced Member

This is the 4th Edition Player's Handbook: Player's Handbook

Unfortunately, anything on the internet related to 4th Edition has a ton of negative reviews from people who... well, let me put it this way: The same people who wouldn't let Hotara into a raid because of his gearscore don't like 4th edition.

--------------------

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
771 replies since Feb 24 2010, 09:35 PM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Pages: (52) [1] 2 3 ... Last »
<< Back to Bone Pile