Powered by Invision Power Board
 Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Star Wars: The Old Republic is free now
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Abotu
Posted: Nov 17 2012, 05:32 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Blackmoon Tribe Members
Member No.: 9631

Now there are three levels of access depending on what you pay:

1. Free players: It's possible to play through any class story all the way without ever paying, but you miss out on a lot of basic quality of life stuff. The restrictions are pretty stifling, as they often are to keep gold-sellers from exploiting the system, but if you never played it you might not notice right away. If you ever bought this game, this isn't you. The most basic level of access is for people who have never given Bioware one red cent for this game.

2. "Preferred" players: If you're totally new to it, I highly recommend immediately dropping a few bucks in their cash shop to become a preferred customer. You automatically get a much less restricted experience - you get full use of public chat, you can mail and trade freely, the cap on your money is a lot higher, etc. It's pretty reasonable. The most important things to buy from the cash shop are extra quickbars - their decision to put basic UI elements behind a pay wall has baffled and enraged just about everybody, but oh well. You only start with two as a non-subscriber - which is workable at least until level 20 or so - but it's pretty damn cheap to bump yourself up to the standard four. (You can now go as high as 6, but those last two have been glitchy and unreliable and you've got to be pretty hardcore to feel like you need more than 4 quickbars.) There's other basic quality-of-life stuff that you might want to unlock from the start, like the ability to hide your helmet or color-match your gear, or play certain races. Again, it's weird that they make you buy that stuff, but the cost to unlock is minimal.
If you previously subscribed: You've got a certain amount of credit waiting in the cash shop, but it might be locked. Up until I think December 20th, you can resub for a month and get access to a decent number of "cartel coins" (depending on how long you played, what version of the game you bought) that you can then use on basic unlocks if you want to play for free afterwards. This may be a better deal for you than buying $15 of cartel coins from the cash shop. If you really really don't want to give them more money, you can still play as a "preferred" customer, which is tolerable.

3. Subsribers: Full access to everything plus a few new perks. I prefer to just subscribe rather than tinker with individual unlocks, but I'm a big fan of this game anyway.

If anybody has specific questions about the current state of the game, I'll do my best to answer them.

I'm on the Jung Ma server now. They've merged everybody onto a few super-servers and Jung Ma is the only RP-PvP one left. You can still get in touch with me & mine by joining the "oldlingo" chat channel (type: /cjoin oldlingo). We use it on both factions but if there's a few of us on we tend to all be on one side or the other. The last remaining Oldlings and a few of our allies have a little guild Republic-side which used to be our alt guild.

Most recently we've been working on unlocking the new companion, HK-51. If you ever played KotOR you know what to expect from that guy. The quest to unlock him is pretty fun, but you need at least one level 50 character and at least one alt on the opposite faction, and it's challenging.

Sahn'jin
Posted: Nov 17 2012, 05:40 PM

Dark Elder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I really need to log in again. I abandoned it a while ago and so many auctions got lost to the ether.

--------------------
Hi, my name is Sahnjin, and I'm an achievement whore.

Martyn
Posted: Dec 3 2012, 05:20 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 91

This game was a *BLAST* to play for the first month or two - then it just got extremely stale.

Have they done anything to really help out in that arena?

--------------------
Kazzy-face!

Abotu
Posted: Dec 5 2012, 04:30 AM

Advanced Member

I couldn't possibly answer that question without knowing pretty specifically what you thought was "stale" about it. They have made a lot of little quality-of-life tweaks and added some content here and there, but it's still the same game. A lot of people seemed to love it and then suddenly not love it anymore, and I can't really relate to that. I loved it and I still love it. In my eyes, a game couldn't possibly be more "stale" than WoW.

Right now my friends and I have definitively turned our alt guild into our main guild and we're working on building it up a bit. I'll link you guys to the website once it's polished up a bit. We have a pretty cool RP story going and we have a lot of fun. The basic gist is that it's a rowdy swoop gang that occasionally gets roped into doing clandestine work for the Republic. There's a lot of cross-faction RP and some slightly crooked Jedi...

Abotu
Posted: Dec 5 2012, 09:47 PM

Advanced Member

Oh, another quick update:

They're bumping "preferred" players up to 4 quickbars by default (and refunding the coins to anyone who bought them) and giving them 6 character slots instead of 2. That brings the whole experience a lot closer to what the base game was meant to be. They are definitely listening to player feedback when it comes to the restrictions on non-subscribers, and my hope is that they'll continue to ease up and let people enjoy the game at a reduced price. The influx of new and returning players has really given new life to the servers, and it would be nice if they stuck around.

Bantaro
Posted: Dec 6 2012, 09:40 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Blackmoon Tribe Moderators
Member No.: 174

Okay - Abotu, can you give me a server name, Dark Side vs. Light Side, and a contact or something.

My old Sith guild did the free transfer when they were consolidating servers and stopped playing so meh.

Still subscribing, mostly because I've enjoyed the game anytime I've played it.

--------------------
user posted image
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Larry, and um, Brain, but how can we get seven dwarves to shave their legs?
- Pinky & the Brain ... and Larry (1997)

Sokra
Posted: Dec 6 2012, 12:32 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (Abotu @ Dec 5 2012, 02:30 AM)
In my eyes, a game couldn't possibly be more "stale" than WoW.

You should probably get your eyes checked.

--------------------
'Whenever people say "We mustn't be sentimental," you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add "We must be realistic," they mean they are going to make money out of it.'

Abotu
Posted: Dec 6 2012, 07:24 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bantaro @ Dec 6 2012, 07:40 AM)
Okay - Abotu, can you give me a server name, Dark Side vs. Light Side, and a contact or something.

My old Sith guild did the free transfer when they were consolidating servers and stopped playing so meh.

Still subscribing, mostly because I've enjoyed the game anytime I've played it.

I'm on the Jung Ma server now. They've merged everybody onto a few super-servers and Jung Ma is the only RP-PvP one left. You can still get in touch with me & mine by joining the "oldlingo" chat channel (type: /cjoin oldlingo). We use it on both factions but if there's a few of us on we tend to all be on one side or the other.

tongue.gif

Abotu
Posted: Dec 16 2012, 07:40 PM

Advanced Member

Here's the snazzy website for the guild I'm in now: http://moe.enjin.com/home

I'm still having a great time with this game! I'm loving the RP scene on this server. The fact that /say is cross-faction creates a lot of opportunities that never existed in WoW.

Abotu
Posted: Jan 29 2013, 05:36 AM

Advanced Member

Our swoop gang has a garage / clubhouse on Ord Mantell where most of our serious RP goes down. We've always told people to pretend the walls are decorated with things like flags, pin-up girls, and framed mugshots of various gang members, among other things. Lately on our forums we've had fun crafting images of some of these decorations. Here's a couple that I made:

Mugshot of Uftax AKA "The Brute." The club's chief enforcer. From a time he was nabbed on Curuscant for carrying an unlicensed plasma cannon.
user posted image

Cheesy pin-up art based on Mallati, a young Jedi trained in infiltration and recently assigned to keep watch on the gang's activities.
user posted image

I tell ya, RP with this crew just gets better and better. Remind me to tell you all some stories later.

Abotu
Posted: Mar 11 2013, 02:30 PM

Advanced Member

<Moe's Swoop Garage> has been featured on one of the big TOR fan sites: http://corellianrun.com/2013/03/11/communi...-checkpoint-31/

We're famous!!!

Bantaro
Posted: Mar 11 2013, 11:31 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 174

Grats Abotu!

--------------------
user posted image
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Larry, and um, Brain, but how can we get seven dwarves to shave their legs?
- Pinky & the Brain ... and Larry (1997)

Manashnee
Posted: Mar 12 2013, 07:16 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 384

Hahaha Grats!

Sahn'jin
Posted: Mar 11 2014, 05:25 PM

Dark Elder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

So did Bioware just add player housing?

--------------------
Hi, my name is Sahnjin, and I'm an achievement whore.

Majah
Posted: Mar 12 2014, 09:21 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9145

They just added open space combat. I think Player housing is the next thing coming.

--------------------
user posted image

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
20 replies since Nov 17 2012, 05:32 PM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Pages: (2) [1] 2 
<< Back to Bone Pile